Breathe Your Way to Calm!
In the Science of Kundalini Yoga, breathing methods are called pranayam. Pranayams can renew, focus, energize, balance and relax you, all at the same time, so that you can feel better and be more effective. Here’s a simple pranayam techhnique:
- Sit on the floor in a an easy cross-legged position or in a chair.
- Have your hands comfortably resting palms down oh your knees.
- Keep your spine straight. Gently tuck your chin in.
- Have your eyes relaxed about one-tenth open.
- Focus your attention at the center of your brow.
- Begin long deep breathing by inhaling deeply and completely in 4 seconds.
- Hold your breath for 4 seconds.
- Exhale all out in 4 seconds, but don’t hold the breath out.
- Immediately repeat the inhale and continue long deep breathing in this way for 3 minutes.
- End with a final inhale and stretch your arms and spine up over your head for 4 more seconds, exhale and relax.
This technique brings your breathing to just about 4 breaths per minute. This will cause serotonin to secrete in your brain, helping you to clear your mind and feel relaxed and uplifted!